Trap shooting is a shotgun-sporting event where competitors try to break as many clay targets as possible. There are three events in Trap Shooting.The following are descriptions of each event:
- Singles – While standing on the sixteen-yard line, the trap machine oscillates from left to right and on call will release the target at the point of call for you to attempt to break. The shooter must perform this five times at five stations. (This constitutes why shotshell manufacturers package target shotshells in boxes of twenty-five shotshells.)
- Handicap – Handicap is performed exactly like Singles, but depending on your expertise; you will be handicapped to shoot from longer yardage. The yardage is based on your shooting from the eighteen-yard line to the twenty-seven yard line. (i.e. the better you shoot the farther away from the target you will be handicapped)
- Doubles – This event is very different from the above events. The difference is that two targets are released from the trap house simultaneously, one to the left and one to the right. The targets do not oscillate, but they will appear at exactly the same place every time a call for targets is made. The object is to break both targets.
The Langhorne Rod and Gun Club has a very nice trap range with 4 automatic trap launchers (three of which have handicap yardage shooting positions) and an additional “Wobble-Trap” on one of the traps. The automatic trap launchers are only available for use during club-sanctioned events which are opened to the public.
The club sponsors many trap related activities throughout the most (year are open to the public).
- Trap Shooting – Amateur Trapshooting Association (ATA) Big 50 (ATA Fees apply) and Open Practice (open to the public) – Every Thursday from 5:00pm to 9:00pm, weather permitting. Club members pay $4.00 for 25 targets (excluding ammo). Non-member’s fee is $4.75.
- Sunday Trap – Schedule is the first Sunday in March, April, May, October, November, December. Shooter is required to be a member of the Amateur Trapshooting Association (ATA Fees apply) Target Fees are $19.00/hundred targets and Practice (open to the public) Target Fees same as Thursday.
Consult the calendar for the upcoming regular trap sessions and see the events page for special events.
The LR&GC Youth Program will be open this Friday, August 12th, 2016 beginning at 6:30 P.M..
Program participants should bring a shotgun and the proper ammunition.
Game loads are not allowed. There will be a brief safety and trap protocol discussion prior to any shooting. Target Fees are free to young shooters. Parents of first time shooters must be in attendance for the shoot. Shooters must be of school age and an active student capable of using a shot gun.
Thank you, Joe N
- Please check our club Calendar before coming to make sure we are still hosting the event.
- We are also collecting donations of shotgun shells for the youth shooters.